Announcements and Important Events
Recently, ROHS communicated our closure learning plan. I wanted to take a moment to communicate how that learning plan will impact future athletic academic eligibility. Therefore, please read the following:
- Semester grades will be a running total for the semester, beginning January 27.
- No final exams.
- All missing work will be counted as 60%, not zero.
- Students still have the opportunity to complete missing work.
- Semester grades will post as letter grades.
- Students/Parents may request the letter grade be replaced with a grade of “CREDIT.” This will award credit for the course but not affect Grade Point Average (GPA).
Credit Recovery Classes
- Classes already in progress will continue. Support will be available during the designated times on the schedule as well as during select Office Hours.
- Students may sign up for new classes in the credit recovery program. For more info, visit https://bit.ly/2yIbx1V, email donald.watchowski@
royaloakschools.org, or call us at 248-435-8500, x1078.
Current Athletic Eligibility Requirements
To be academically eligible to participate in athletics or co-curricular activities, a student shall have successfully passed no less than eighty percent (80%) – 4 out of 5, 5 out of 6, or 6 out of 7 classes in the previous semester, of which at least three classes must be a C- or better. If the student is ineligible based on the previous semester grades or deficiencies over multiple semesters (see below), the student will be ineligible for participation until deficiencies, including incompletes and failures from a previous semester are recovered.
While a student may participate with one “E” or failing semester grade, if the student fails a second class in any subsequent semester, the student will be ineligible to compete until one or more failures are recovered. A failure of a course required for graduation is recovered by successfully completing a pre-approved course (through summer school, evening credit recovery courses, or other pre-approved options) that will replace the failed course. A failure of a course not specifically required for graduation is recovered by successfully completing a pre-approved course in the same category for graduation requirements. At no time may a student who wishes to participate in a covered activity have two unrecovered “E” grades on his or her transcript.
What does the grading protocol during the closure mean for Athletic Eligibility?
If letter grades are submitted, the expectation for eligibility remains the same (student shall have successfully passed no less than eighty percent (80%) – 4 out of 5, 5 out of 6, or 6 out of 7 classes in the previous semester, of which at least three classes must be a C- or better.).
If a student or parent requests that a letter grade be replaced with a "credit", the "credit" will be considered a qualifying credit of a "C- or better".
The "two unrecovered E's" or failing grades standard in previous semesters remains intact, with no adjustments or updates. Credit recovery (https://bit.ly/2yIbx1V) or summer school must be completed. Summer School information will be communicated as it becomes available.
Please let me know if you have any questions or need clarification. Stay healthy and happy!
Royal Oak HS Athletic Director, email@example.com